Monday, September 28, 2009

Things I've learned

As I approach another landmark birthday in an few months- yeah, the one half way between 30 and 40, I've been talking with my friends a lot about how your personal style evolves and the things you learn over the years. Yeah, some my mom told me years ago, but I just didn't listen. Others I've just picked up.

All in all, I'm pretty low maintenance. I usually arrive at work with no makeup on. At about 8:30 I may put on some powder and lipstick. I love clothes but I'm not a slave to fashion. I like nice stuff but not really tied up over names. Malls exhaust me. But I do like looking nice, having my own style and having what I need to 'pull it all together' when needed. So here's the short list of things I've learned:

1. At some point, no matter how much you love it. No matter how good it made you feel 5 years ago. It's got to go.
2. Planning your wardrobe purchases seasonally makes shopping less stressful and makes it easier to discern between wants and needs; impulse buys and investment pieces.
4. A bra will make them look better, bigger, perkier or whatever else you are going for.
3. One woman's trash can be another one's treasure. Goodwill can be your BFF, you just gotta go frequently to get the good stuff.
4. Your dry cleaner and alteration shop are gift's from God.
5. Getting your eyebrows done is the best bang for a few bucks. (Still workin' on this one).
6. Closet: Edit Edit Edit.
7. Stalking is only appropriate when it comes to clothes. There is nothing like the thrill of the chase of watching an item until it goes on sale or clearance and then going in for the kill..
8. ..but sometime you've got to bite the bullet and pay full price.
9. It doesn't matter how cute the shoes are if they hurt your feet.
10. 30 is the new 20 and 40 is the new 30 but sometimes you got to dress your age. I'm not saying go old lady or nothing but c'mon.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails