Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Urban Paper Girl - Zalika Perkins


Urban Paper Girl is our new feature that spotlights incredible women that you should know.

I've known Atlanta artist Zalika for several years and always admired not only her unique style, incredible talent but also her abundance of positive energy.



How long have I been painting? What are your other creative pursuits?
First of all, I've always been a creative person. I use to make doll houses and mini sculptures. I was always drawing or fooling with watercolors. My father was a painter so that may have had something to do with it. For high school, I went to a math and science magnet school that offered no art classes, so I really got into writing poetry and short stories. My Freshman English teacher accused me of plagiarism because she did not believe a 12 year old could write on that level.I reconnected with painting when I was 15 and was enrolled in a summer art program. That is why I decided to major in painting at Howard University. So in addition to painting, I have a thing for writing. As a matter of fact, I did a lot of poetry readings back in the day .

What inspires you?
Oh, so much gives me inspiration! My dear son, Mahari. A good book or movie. Music- from afrobeat to hip hop. Ummm, Black people throughout the world from the ghettos of DC, Southern India to Soweto, dancing, meditating, being in the forests, fly clothes!

Describe yourselfin three words?
Effervescent, Evolving, Ethereal

If money where no object, I'd be....
on a world tour with Mohammad, my man. No seriously, I'd be traveling, I'd have boutiques, a magazine (like Oprah) only it would be for rebels like us. I'd have a school, some really nice coastal homes. I'd have exchange programs between the children of African and the children here (Let them see how similar they really are).

My art can be found at http://lotusofwadiarts.blogspot.com/



We're looking for movers, shakers, beauty mavens, fashionistas and entrepreneurial women to feature on our blog. If this sounds like you (or someone you know) shoot me an email to kia (at) kianicole.com with a picture, a link to your website or blog and a quick bio. We'd love to feature you here!

2 comments:

The Culture of Self Care said...

Zalika is truely all of those things.. I aspire to go through life and its curves as fabulously as she does.. and I do mean fabulous. :) Anana

Naturi Beauty said...

I love your 3 describing words Zalika!

Related Posts with Thumbnails